Hyperbaric oxygen therapy delivers a higher-than-normal concentration of oxygen to a patient to help the body repair and heal.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is used to treat a wide variety of other health problems. It is currently being studied and may be helpful for many health conditions, including:
- Lyme Disease
- Near drowning
- Recovery from plastic surgery
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Bell’s palsy
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Gastrointestinal ulcers
- Heart disease
Hyperbaric chambers have been evaluated and approved as safe and effective for these conditions by the FDA:
- Air and gas bubbles in blood vessels
- Anemia (severe anemia when blood transfusions cannot be used)
- Burns (severe and large burns treated at a specialized burn center)
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Crush injury
- Decompression sickness (diving risk)
- Gas gangrene
- Hearing loss (complete hearing loss that occurs suddenly and without any known cause)
- Infection of the skin and bone (severe)
- Radiation injury
- Skin graft flap at risk of tissue death
- Vision loss (when sudden and painless in one eye due to blockage of blood flow)
- Wounds (non-healing, diabetic foot ulcers)
So, what is Hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Our body’s tissues need oxygen to function and the air we breathe is 21% oxygen. HBOT increases the oxygenation of a person’s blood by forcing additional oxygen to dissolve into the blood plasma. This is done by increasing the atmospheric pressure within the chamber and therefore increasing the amount of oxygen available to the cells of the body. The increased atmospheric pressure allows oxygen to penetrate the skin and the lungs, saturating the red blood cells, plasma, and body tissues with health producing oxygen.
At NatureMedica, the hyperbaric chamber is a tube large enough for one person to lie down in. The air pressure inside the chamber is slowly raised higher than normal air pressure. This higher pressure then helps the patient’s lungs collect more oxygen. More oxygen to the tissues that need it can help the body heal and fight infections.
In most cases, a patient will need several sessions to notice the benefits. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is usually part of a comprehensive treatment plan provided with other therapies that are designed to fit your individual needs.
Before any hyperbaric oxygen treatment treatment, you need to be evaluated by a doctor. Schedule a free 15-minute consult today by calling 520-887-4287.