By Dr. Judy Gianni
Sluggish brain function or “brain fog” is the condition that has, in the past, often been associated with condition such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, post chemo brain, etc. but now a large amount of people are experiencing brain fog either after Covid infection or as a post Covid vaccine sequelae. Because of this, Dr. Judy Gianni, along with input from the other docs at NatureMedica, have come up with a specialized botanical liquid extract formula (tincture) to help heal the brain, reduce neuroinflammation, and clear up brain fog.
Here are the herbs found in our Brain Formula:
- Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinaceus) is a white, shaggy, beautiful, medicinal mushroom that has a powerful beneficial effect on brain function and cognition. It is known to enhance creativity and productivity. So whether it’s menopause, post COVID brain fog, poor memory, etc., Lion’s Mane has the ability to repair the neuronal tissue in the brain and is very healing and therapeutic. It is also known to reduce symptoms of mild depression and anxiety and protect against dementia. It is strongly anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and immune boosting as well.
- Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) is an herbaceous shrub and has been used in both Western, Eastern and Ayurvedic traditions to improve mental clarity, promote wound healing, and aid in liver and kidney health. Studies have found it to be beneficial in brain healing after stroke and improving memory. Mouse and human studies have shown that Gotu Kola protects brain cells from toxicity and possibly benefits Alzheimer’s patients. It is known to reverse oxidative damage to brain cells and reduce neuro-inflammation.
- Bacopa (Bacopa monnieri) is a creeping herb native to eastern India, Australia, Africa, Asia, Europe and South America. Bacopa has been used for centuries to nourish the brain, boost memory, enhance learning and reduce stress. Studies demonstrate its advocacy in treating epilepsy, Parkinson’s and dementia. Bacopa’s abilities are due to its antioxidant properties, its ability to protect the important neurotransmitter acetylcholine, reduce beta amyloid production (the protein that is what Alzheimer plaques are made of), Increase cerebral blood flow, and balance neurotransmitters.
- Rhodiola (Rhodiola roses) is a yellow flowering plant native to Asia, North America and parts of Europe that has long been used in traditional medicine as a potent mediator of longevity and anti-aging. Rhodiola reduces fatigue, increases mental performance, enhances memory and is neuroprotective to the cells in the brain. Clinically, it has been studied and used to reduce anxiety and relieve depression. It is considered an adopted in that improves energy and restores the adrenals.
- Ginkgo biloba also known as the maiden hair tree, is native to China. Ginkgo enhances optimal cerebral flow and is indicated for treating and preventing mental decline, dementia, and Alzheimer’s. Ginkgo can optimize mood, treat impotence (when the problem is decreased blood flow), can heal the eyes in macular degeneration (again, because of improving blood flow), and can prevent and heal migraines and even treat hemorrhoids.
The combination of these high powered botanicals can steadily improve brain function and optimize well-being. A typical dose would be 3 “droppersful” in water twice a day. Duration of treatment is 1-4 months, depending on severity of symptoms and length of brain compromise.
* “dropperful” is the amount drawn into the glass dropper when fully pinching the rubber stopper.